Are you looking for a surrogate? Finding a surrogate can be challenging, as you need to prepare properly to find the perfect surrogate partner who is right for your family. Some intended parents work with a surrogate they already know, such as a family member or a close friend. For others to start from scratch, it will take considerable time and effort. In this article, we will give you an overview of the surrogacy process and provide you with some tips on how to find a surrogate. Read our guide on IVF process and the egg freezing procedure.
What is Surrogacy?
Surrogacy is an arrangement, supported by a legal agreement, where individuals or couples who do not want to or are unable to conceive a child involve a woman, known as the surrogate, to carry and give birth to a child on their behalf. It can be a complex and emotional process, and these are two important reasons why it is important to stay prepared and consider all the factors before taking a step ahead in this journey.
Two Types of Surrogacy
These are the two types of surrogacy:
- Gestational surrogacy: In gestational surrogacy, the surrogate carries an embryo created using the eggs and sperm of the intended parents or donors. In this procedure, the surrogate has no biological connection to the child she carries. In this process, pregnancy is achieved through in vitro fertilization (IVF) procedure.
- Traditional surrogacy: In traditional surrogacy, the surrogate is artificially inseminated with the sperm of the intended father or a sperm donor. The surrogate is the biological mother of the child she is carrying, as the egg used is her own. The pregnancy in this procedure is achieved through intrauterine insemination (IUI) with sperm from the intended father. However, the donor’s sperm can also be used in this procedure.
Read more below:
Surrogacy is a legal process that requires careful planning and consideration. Here are some legal points that you need to understand before getting involved in this procedure:
- Understand The Laws & Regulations Of Your Country Or State
It is the first step of legal consideration, as surrogacy laws and regulations can vary from place to place. Thus, it is important to know every small detail about it to ensure that you comply with the law. and protect your rights.
- Work With A Lawyer Experienced In Reproductive Law
Choose to work with a lawyer with experience in handling the legal complexities of surrogacy and ensure that all the issues are properly addressed legally.
- Consider The Legal Rights & Responsibilities Of All Parties Involved
It’s essential to carefully consider the legal rights and responsibilities of the intended parents, the surrogate, and any other parties involved in the surrogacy process.
- Get Into A Surrogacy Sign Agreement
A surrogacy agreement is a legally binding document that states the terms and conditions of the surrogacy arrangement. All parties should prepare and sign it before the surrogacy process begins entirely.
- Address Issues Related To Parentage And Custody
Surrogacy can create various complex problems related to parentage and custody. Therefore, it is essential to state the issues before the surrogacy process begins to ensure the rights and responsibilities of all parties.
5 Ways to find a Surrogate
Here are some tips to help you find a surrogate:
- Reach Out To Top Surrogate Agencies: Surrogacy agencies are professional organizations that help facilitate surrogacy, including finding a surrogate and managing all the necessary legal and medical services.
- Use a Surrogacy Matching Service: Surrogacy matching services are online platforms that help connect intended parents and surrogates to see if they match in terms of medical and legal agreements. These services often require both parties to complete extensive profiles. This is also done and undergo background checks to ensure they are a good match.
- Building Personal Relationships: Many intended parents prefer to find a surrogate independently rather than working with an agency or matching service. You can do this by contacting your connections, family, and friends or even through social media platforms and online forums. Once you find one, go through the background check and medical history to ensure you are a perfect match.
- Surrogacy Clinics: It is also one of the best places to find a perfect surrogate mother to build your family. If you are an intended parent, you can visit this place to see if any program is available.
- Surrogacy Attorneys: You can also reach out to surrogacy attorneys to find the right surrogate, as they work with multiple surrogates and agencies to help intended parents find matching professionals.
Surrogacy is one important step to take, which is also rewarding but also an emotional step. So, if you are searching for a surrogate or have found one, do not forget to consider the mentioned steps. It is essential to consider the legal implications of surrogacy and work with a lawyer to ensure everything is clearly stated in the legal agreement to prevent further complications. We hope this article helps you find the best surrogate partner for you!